Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Everything hurts!



Today I went for a 3 hour training ride. My wife had a day off work and could look after my daughter so I had the whole morning to myself - Luxury! My training for the singlespeed race so far has consisted of half hour jaunts on my geared bike lugging Carla around in the trailer. That's all I normally have time for - trips to the playground or the shops etc. It's no way to build up endurance and I planned to be doing these longer rides 3 weeks ago, but food poisoning put an end to that. I have still not put the weight back on that I lost over easter.

I'm a little worried that I won't make it around the course in Rotorua at the end of the month. I am just not race-fit. After 2 hours riding mostly on the road I was feeling pretty stuffed and was going to call it a day, but I chewed up another muesli bar and slogged on for another hour and I didn't feel any worse apart from a sore bum, but that's to be expected. I should probably wear padded cycling shorts. 

On the positive side my recovering ankle didn't hurt much on the bumps, kept working the entire ride and didn't swell too bad afterwards. I didn't even ice it. That is encouraging.

For the race I am hoping that a few of those energy gels and power-bars (that I have never used before) will pull me through. That and shear determination. 

Today was the longest ride I have done with my new Camelbak. I was carrying 3 litres of water and all the stuff I need to have with me in the race; wallet, camera, phone, keys, food, tools and pump. I wasn't really that impressed. It wasn't uncomfortable, but it wasn't comfortable either. It's a lot of weight on you back when your tired, hot and sweaty and it got a little annoying. I still had 1 litre in there when I got home, so I might not fill it up so much for the race.

No comments: